Free Choice April

June 21, 2019

A Biology Anecdote

Some would call me crazy and I know,

but I don’t care.

I learned how to suture over the summer, I practiced on fabric, fake leather, oranges, bananas and some of these suturing sessions would take place in the library, consisting of a small group of friends. I eventually upgraded to chicken thighs.

Today we were going to dissect a fetal pig in biology, this was the dissection I had been countings, months, weeks, minutes and seconds to preform. I made a little promise with myself; I was going to bring my suturing kit with me. I keep my suturing kit in a pocket hidden in the corner of my bag.

I hid my suturing kit in the huge pocket of my labcoat, which was suprisingly convenient. I asked my group members if we could save the remaining 5-10 minutes of the dissection for the sole purpose of suturing the pig.

My group members kindly agreed to my eccentric idea,

suprisingly.

We were nearing the end of our fascinating dissection and in the last 10 minutes my group members kept the promise they made and we continued suturing away across the rubbery skin of the fetal pig which by the way wreaked of a formaldehyde like chemical.

Its as if we were lost in the world of suturing,

simple interrupted sutures across the back neatly closing up the vertical incision made with the scalpel.

We were lost in the world of sutures,

too lost.

I wanted to make sure the teacher didn’t find out I bought a suturing kit to class, I was worried that they’d think I was insane.

However we got to carried away and what cam next left me in awe.

My group, including myself was extremely focused and we lost track of everthing outside of suturing.

Suddenly, a loud voice from the other side of the class room hollered.

“What on earth are you doing?!”

We dropped the tools

and froze.

I was petrified,

terrified,

paralyzed…

I had to explain myself.

It was a little hard to tell how the teacher was emotionally feeling,

but it became very obvious when he burst in laughter. The teacher quickly added. “You’re seriously suturing a pig, that’s amazing!”

I stood there awkwardly with my face all red. We were equally as confused as the teacher and I was embarassed with my little obssesion but I still was laughing awkwardly.

We all were…

And that was one of the best moments…

of my life.

(Credits go to:http://jennifersharrick.blogspot.com/2013/01/suture-clinic.html and https://www.cwcboe.org/Page/5018)